Tuesday, May 29, 2012

May 29: Birthday Party Disclaimer

We're starting to see a lot of pink and yellow around here as Isla's first birthday party preparations are well under way.  Her pink lemonade party is this Saturday, and it's going to be lots of fun!

In the past, I've received several comments from other moms about my parties, along the lines of:  "Your parties are so great.  You are such an amazing mom.  I'm a bad mom because I don't plan big parties for my kids."

Before I post pictures and details about this weekend's party, I feel like I need to explain myself a little on this because it just bothers me that people would think that.  I don't plan parties because I am an amazing mom.  I don't think throwing fancy parties equals being an amazing mom.  I'm sure you could throw a box of pizza on the table and sing happy birthday and be just as good a mom (or a much better mom) as the one who throws the most elaborate parties on the planet. 

While I do like the idea of making birthdays special for my kids and creating memories for them (even if they only remember the parties through pictures), the main reason that I throw elaborate themed parties is because I like to do it.  I love party planning; it's really just fun for me to take a theme and put it all together.  I consider it a hobby of mine, and it is something that I think about and look forward to all year long.  My reasons for party planning are really pretty selfish!

Audrey is at a point where she likes birthday parties a lot.  She is very, very interested in what kind of party she is going to have when she turns four (we're thinking Mary Poppins right now or maybe Snow White).  If she or Isla ever get to a point where they don't want a big themed party, I will be more than happy to oblige and step back.  We are not to that point yet though, so I just keep planning away!  =)

I also do try to keep to a budget and not go TOO overboard with my parties.  With that said, I'm going to be a bit overbudget with Isla's party (Remind me next year not to make a favor that requires jelly beans.  Holy cow, those things are expensive!).  When all is said and done, it will cost us about $250-300 to throw this party (I was hoping to keep it closer to $200).  That includes the invites, decorations, favors, lunch, dessert and drinks for 30 people.  Some people may think that is way too much, and then I know there are others who think that is super cheap!  I think it is a fairly reasonable amount considering all that I am planning to do, but it is also the most that I would ever be willing to spend on a party.  After all, it is just a party.  It will last for a couple of hours, everyone will make a big mess, and then it's over!  I do try to keep everything reasonable, and I am often looking for bargains all year long in preparation for a party. 

Anyway, the purpose of this post is just to explain:  I don't think I'm a good mom because I plan big birthday parties. I'm not trying to be a good mom by planning big birthday parties.  I just like to plan them.  The end.






0 comments:

Post a Comment