Wednesday, May 16, 2012

May 16: Favorite Baby Board Books

Sadly, I do not read to Isla as much as I would like to or ought to.  I know we read to Audrey much more frequently as a baby, but we just seemed to have so much more free time back then.   However, Isla does still likes looking at books, and she will often just flip through the pages by herself.  And I do still read to her sometimes, and Audrey sometimes "reads" to her too...so we are not totally depriving her of books!


Tonight, it was just me and Isla home by ourselves for a while, and we took book after book off the bookshelf and looked at them and read them together. 

It seems that just about any children's book is turned into a board book these days, but for the sake of this list, I am focusing on board books especially designed for babies.  Here are a few of both Audrey and Isla's favorites!

Touch and Feel books by DK Publishing:  Right now, Isla really likes books that have texture on the pages, specifically soft fuzzy things.  It looks like these books have been updated since we got ours, but we own older versions of the Farm Animals and the Baby Animals book.  Tonight, at least, these were Isla's favorite books!  She would point to an animal on the page, feel it, and then look at me.  I would say the animal name and sound, and she would laugh and clap.  Over and over again.

That's Not My Puppy (Usborne Touchy-Feely books):  Another touch/feel book.  We own the puppy one, but I think all the books in this series are cute. 

Peek-a Who? by Nina Laden:  This was a big favorite of Audrey's when she was a baby/toddler. Actually, it is still a favorite; she likes it now because she can read all of it by herself.  Some of the pages have cut out holes in them, which are fun for little ones to peek through.  The last page is a mirror, which is also a lot of fun for babies to see themselves.

Tails by Matthew Van Fleet:  We actually own two copies of this book!  It is a fun touch/feel book, that also has things to pull and flaps to open.  A huge favorite with my girls.  I have one copy that I got at a garage sale, and I let them play with that one all that they want (it is starting to get pretty worn and a few parts are now broken).  Then I have a nicer, new copy that I only let them read when I am reading with them (it is still in great condition!).

 Where is Baby's Belly Button by Karen Katz:  We have a bunch of these Karen Katz Lift the Flap books, and we like them all! 



Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell:  Another lift the flap book.  This one is so cute. It's simple and fun and a hit with both babies and preschoolers.  Audrey still loves it, and it's another one that she can just about read by herself.






0 comments:

Post a Comment