Monday, July 11, 2011

July 11

Isla had a better day today, which meant a better day for me too! It's funny how things change from day to day, hour to hour, minute to minute. Last night I was feeling completely overwhelmed, but tonight I feel much more capable of handling two kids and life in general. We shall see what tomorrow brings!

On a different topic, my friend Lindsey has inspired me to start eating a little healthier around here. She is working on eating more real foods and less processed foods with her family, so I thought we might try to do the same. I'm not going super crazy with it, but I am trying to make more things from scratch and be more aware of what is in the food that I am serving/eating.

Last week, I made whole wheat zucchini chocolate chip muffins and whole grain waffles. Both were delicious, and we now have a good supply in the freezer to eat for breakfast and snacks.

Tonight, I made homemade chicken nuggets. From a fat/calorie standpoint, these really aren't a healthy meal. But when you compare them to frozen, bagged chicken nuggets, they are much better for you. Since chicken nuggets have become a staple in Audrey's diet, I decided it wouldn't hurt to make some with fresher ingredients.

I used this recipe. The only thing I changed was the frying part. I did cook them in a some extra virgin olive oil on the stovetop, but only for a second or two on each side...just to help them get a little crispy. Then I baked them in the oven at 400 for about 10 minutes on each side. Not sure if that made them any healthier, but it did make it easier to know for sure when they were cooked all the way.

Most importantly, they tasted really good! I thought Audrey might reject them, as the taste and texture were a bit different than the frozen kind. But she ate them all up! I now have at least 6-7 servings in the freezer that she kind have for lunches in the coming weeks.




0 comments:

Post a Comment