Sunday, May 18, 2014

May 18


Today was piano recital day for my students!  I'm so proud of them (all fourteen of them!), as they all worked really hard and did a superb job playing their songs.  I couldn't have asked them to play better at all.

We had a movie theme for this year's recital, which was a lot of fun!  Everyone played a song from a movie.  The highlight of my day was when one of my older students played Married Life, which is the song from the opening scene of the movie Up.  If you've seen the movie, you know that the scene is amazing and very, very sad.  (If you haven't seen the movie, then you need to go watch the first ten minutes right now!).  The student playing this song sometimes has trouble playing with dynamics and musical expression; she likes to play everything loud and fast.  I told her, that at the end of this song (the part where it is sad), her goal was to play in such a way as to make someone in the audience cry.  She looked at me like I was crazy; but she did work on adding more expression to the end of her song.  And today, I had a lady come up to me at the end of the recital and tell me that she was sobbing at the end of the Up song.  And I was such a proud teacher, because my student reached her goal of making someone cry!  




0 comments:

Post a Comment