Wednesday, October 12, 2011

October 12

We went back to Hanger today. They scanned Isla's head again, and she was at 95.8%. At her last scan six weeks ago, she was 94%. Normal is around 83-85%. Those numbers are moving in the wrong direction.

Therefore, we are officially getting the helmet. Next week!!!!

When I first found out about Isla's brachycephaly and the possibility of a helmet, I immediately began searching the internet to find out more about it. I was especially interested in blogs and real life stories about parents with kids in helmets. Reading about how other people have been through the same thing helped me to feel so much better about Isla wearing a helmet.

So, I have tried to be very thorough on this blog about detailing our story. I hope that someone else who is going through the same thing might stumble across this humble little blog and find some encouragement.

For those who are just tuning in, here is a quick recap of what is going on. Isla was born with a flat head. At her two month appointment, the pediatrician confirmed my suspicion that her head was still not growing correctly. She referred us to a physical therapist, who is working with Isla to improve the range of motion in her neck. We had hoped that physical therapy might also help her flat head, but her head has not improved on its own.

Now Isla we will wear a helmet (officially called a cranial band) 23 hours a day for the next 3-8 months. We are really hoping it will only be 3 months, but the orthotist today told us that with brachycephaly (as opposed to the more common plagiocephaly) it can often take longer to correct.

The helmet will look like this, without the Tweety Bird pictures all over it!
Isla's helmet will be light pink. There are all kinds of crazy patterns and pictures and designs out there for these helmets. But I personally think they are a little tacky. I am viewing Isla's helmet as a fashion accessory...therefore it must coordinate with her outfits! We are looking into some hats to go over it, as well as velcro flowers and bows that we can attach to it.

I was really terrified of the helmet when we first learned it was a possibility. But at this point, I am embracing it. It has taken me a while to come to this point, but I really feel like this is what we need to do for her. I am also grateful that this is the biggest problem we are worrying about right now. I know there are far, far, far worse things that can happen to a baby. In the end, I am grateful for a healthy and (mostly) happy little baby!




1 comments:

Queen of Not A Lot said...

Oh, Emily, the things we have to worry about as parents. Good luck to your family. I'm so glad there are things as simple as a helmet to correct her. I think you have a great attitude about it and you'll look back at this as a blip on the radar screen.

Post a Comment