Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June 23

Here's Audrey saying "cheese" for the camera. I think she thinks the camera is actually called "cheese" now, because that is what she says every time she sees it. And when she says "cheese" she doesn't really smile, but kind of makes a funny face. I think we need to pick a new word for picture poses.

So, this picture was taken in the living room. Where Audrey and I pretty much spent the whole day. Normally, I would go crazy being stuck in one room all day. We tend to move around the house and around town a lot, or else I get stir crazy. But today I wanted to stay close to the TV to keep tabs on the longest, craziest tennis match that has ever been played.

It was John Isner (an American that I know a little bit about) vs. Nicholas Mahut (no clue who he is). The match started last night at 6 pm London time and was suspended around 9 pm due to darkness. At that time, they were tied with two sets a piece. (Quick tennis rules note: to win the match, you have to win three sets. To win a set, you have to win 6 games and you must win by two).

So they started with the 5th (and final) set at about 2 pm London time today. I turned it on at 10 am our time, and they had already been playing almost two hours. The score was something like 14-13. Which is a pretty unusual score. Remember they have to win by two, and by this point, there is usually a winner. But Mahut kept tying it back up. Isner would be up by 1, then Mahut would tie it. And this went on and on and on and on and on. Until finally, it was too dark for them to play and they had to suspend the match AGAIN! Total match time so far is 9 hours, 58 minutes. Score in the 5th set: 59-59. Seriously, the score for a close match is normally like 7-5 or some other really low number. A score of 59-59 for a set it is absolutely insane and has never happened before! The scoreboard eventually had to be shut off, because it wouldn't go that high.

Sorry for the long tennis tangent, though you've probably already quit reading by now. I don't know of many people who watch tennis, so I don't have anyone to share this with except for all of you out there on the internet. And I just had to talk about it, because it is such an unbelievable event. Plus it also consumed a large portion (like 5 hours!) of my day today. And yes, I will tune in tomorrow to see who wins.

Don't worry I did get a few things done and I did play with Audrey a lot today...we just multi-tasked and watched tennis at the same time. At first, Audrey was excited every time the crowd clapped. She would clap her hands and say "Yay...TV!" She was probably just excited that the TV was on, because I normally try to keep it turned off while she is awake. But she grew tired of cheering and clapping rather quickly and moved on to other ways of keeping herself entertained. Like taking all of the toys out of her toybox and piling them into the rocking chair!





0 comments:

Post a Comment