Saturday, March 31, 2012

March 31: Healthier Apple Crisp Recipe

Isla is 10 months old today, but I forgot to take her picture with Raggedy Ann. So check back tomorrow for her 10 month update and pictures and my thoughts on how she is growing up way too fast!

Right now, I am enjoying some delicious, leftover apple crisp, so I think I will share that recipe tonight so you can enjoy some too!I have already written about how we have been trying to cut out processed foods and eat a more natural diet. We are not super strict about it, and we still eat some processed stuff, but I am making an effort to only prepare our food using real foods.

I suppose apple crisp is more of a fall dessert, but we like to enjoy it year round. My normal recipe is from my grandma, and it calls for 1 stick of margarine, 1 cup of white flour, and 1 cup of white sugar! I thought I would try to make her recipe with some healthier substitutes, and it turned out so good! Seriously, I don't see any reason to go back to the old recipe when this healthier version tastes just as good (maybe better??). A great treat to enjoy and not feel too guilty about it!

(Healthier) Apple Crisp

4-5 cups chopped, peeled apples (but if you left the skin on, this would be even better for you)
1/2 cup cold water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sucanat
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup apple juice

Combine the apples, water and cinnamon in the baking dish.

In a separate bowl, cut the butter in with the sugars, flour and oats until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in the apple juice. Spoon this mixture on top of the apples.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until apples are cooked through and the topping is crispy.

I served this with some vanilla frozen yogurt...which is not a real food product, but it was delicious! (I tell myself that frozen yogurt has to be better for you than ice cream, right? Though I have a feeling that the sugar and amount of processed ingredients in both is probably about the same).




0 comments:

Post a Comment