Saturday, April 28, 2012

April 28: Favorite Young Adult Fiction

I had fun writing our favorite picture book post recently, so I thought I would continue the theme with a different genre today.

Young adult fiction (also called juvenile fiction) is literature written for 12-18 year olds. Even though I am 31 years old, I'm not ashamed to admit that I am a fan of young adult fiction. Well, not all YA fiction, because a lot of it is just stupid and trashy. But among all the dumb trash, there are also some really great authors and books in the young adult genre...books that transcend age categories and are great reads for adults as well. Plus, since it is written for a younger crowd, these books are usually quick and easy reads!

Here are a few young adult books that I have read and enjoyed as an adult:
Harry Potter series by JK Rowling: I was determined not to jump on the Harry Potter bandwagon. I refused to give in to all the hype. I would never read the books.   But my friend Kellie finally convinced me to read them, and I was immediately hooked, reading the first six books in about two weeks time. Then I had to wait forever for the seventh book to be released! These books really do deserve all the hype that surrounds them. They are just really, really good storytelling. Every time I read them I am in awe of the imagination and detail that Rowling put into creating the world of Harry Potter.

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins: I have already written some of my thoughts about the Hunger Games. A great story with good characters, a little romance  and thought-provoking questions about our society.  I put these books in the same category as Harry Potter...they are worthy of all the hype!

Divergent by Veronica Roth:  The huge popularity of The Hunger Games sparked an abundance of copycat books.  Young adult dystopian fantasies are all the rage these days, and I have read quite of few of them.  For the most part these books are predictable and similar and not especially great, but Divergent stands above the rest as a fair comparison to The Hunger Games (though I still like The Hunger Games better). Insurgent, the second book in the Divergent series, will be released next week, and I am curious to see if I enjoy the rest of the series as much as I did this first book.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green: I just recently read this book, and I loved it. It is such a sweet story, and John Green has such a great way with words and dialogue. Be warned: this is a story about two teenagers with cancer. It is sad but so very good!

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak: This book has definitely transcended the young adult genre and is extremely popular with adults as well. My book club read it last year on my recommendation, and I can't say enough good things about it. It is about a German girl living in Nazi Germany during World War II. It is narrated by Death. It is sad and inspiring and unforgettable. Read it!







0 comments:

Post a Comment