Monday, April 16, 2012

April 16: Favorite Picture Books

In February, I said I was going to write some random posts about a few of our favorite things around here. So, here is Favorite Things Post #2: Our Favorite Picture Books. Well, at least it is some of our favorite picture books, the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. I have a hard time narrowing down my absolute favorites. All of the books on this list are books that Audrey enjoys AND books that I enjoy reading (those two things don't always go together!)

Falling for Rapunzel by Leah Wilcox: This is close to the top of my list of all time favorite picture books. It is such a fun little book. I bought it for my niece when she was around Audrey's age. I was excited to find it at a garage sale a few years ago, because I remembered how much both my niece and I enjoyed it. It is a re-telling of the Rapunzel story told in a funny and entertaining way. We actually need a new copy of this book, because ours has been taped together multiple times and is still falling apart from all the times we have read it! We also have Waking Beauty, a re-telling of the Sleeping Beauty story, which is not quite as good as Rapunzel but still a fun read.

Dogs Don't Wear Sneakers by Laura Numeroff: I picked this one up at a garage sale on a whim, not even realizing that it was by the same author as all the "If you Give the Mouse a Cookie" series of books (we like those books too!). This is just a silly book, imagining a variety of situations where animals are doing things that they obviously do not do. Audrey's favorite pages are: "Fish don't eat bagels" and "Sheep don't take showers" and "Moose don't go bowling."

Leonardo the Terrible Monstey by Mo Willems: Audrey is a fan of monsters, and this book has several (non-scary) monsters in it. It is a cute story about a monster named Leonardo who tries unsuccessfully to be scary, so he decides to be friendly instead. We like it a lot.

Where the Wild Things are by Maurice Sendak: Here's a classic that we don't get tired of reading. I love the way the run on sentence style of this book fits with the story of a little boy's imagination going wild. There's a reason why this one has been around for over 20 years!

The Golden Egg Book by Margare Wise Brown: When Audrey was pretty young, she began to recite one of the pages of this book and it was just so cute (the page where the bunny is speculating what's inside the egg, "Maybe a boy. Maybe an elephant..."). This is also a cute book about a bunny and a duck who become friends. If I judged books by their covers, then I probably wouldn't choose this one. But inside, this is a great book!

The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone: I remember loving this book as a kid, so it is fun to see Audrey enjoy it as well. She just cracks up laughing every time Grover says "Please don't turn the page," and then she goes ahead and turns it anyway.

Duck on a Bike by David Shannon: We read this book so many times that all the pages fell apart and I had to throw it away! We need to get another copy. This book is about a duck who rides a bike, and inspires all the other animals to ride bikes as well. It has animal sounds in it, making it a big hit with Audrey when she was younger and learning all of the animal sounds. Also deserving of an honorable mention here: No, David by David Shannon. That one is also good for younger kids, but Audrey still thinks it is a great book to read now, even though there are only a handful of words on each page (and they all basically say, "No, David!")

How do Dinosaurs say Good Night? by Jane Yolen: And really all the other dinosaur books in this series by Jane Yolen could be added here. We don't actually own any of them, but we check them out from the library frequently and enjoy reading about these mischievous dinosaurs!




0 comments:

Post a Comment