Friday, June 22, 2012

June 22: Brave

Today I took Audrey to see the new Pixar movie Brave.  It was pretty good, but it was probably a little too intense/scary for her at times.  I do think she liked it though.  She keeps telling people about the movie like this:  "It was a great movie.  The queen ate the cake, and then she turned into a bear!"  (That really is a part of the plot).

So, Brave is about a princess named Merida who doesn't want to be a traditional princess.  She is tomboyish and independent and very different from the typical Disney princess.  As soon as the movie started, Audrey said, "I want to see the princess."  I told her that Merida was the princess.  Then Audrey said, "No, I want to see a beautiful princess."

Audrey has definitely been brainwashed by the Disney princess world, where beautiful equals pretty, sparkly dresses and tiaras.  I tried to explain to her that Merida was a beautiful princess, even though she didn't wear a sparkly dress, but I don't think Audrey was following me.   I appreciated the fact that Brave focused on a heroine that wasn't perfectly polished and made up but rather someone more like a real girl...with crazy hair and curves and all!

Here is a lame picture of a picture on my cell phone, because I still don't have a way to get pictures off my phone.  Audrey insisted on sitting on my lap the ENTIRE movie, which was kind of annoying.  But it was also kind of fun to snuggle with her and laugh and talk about the movie.




Tonight we went to our friend Wesley's fourth birthday party.  It was a Batman party, and they had masks and capes for all the kids.  Audrey makes a pretty cute superhero!
Just so Isla doesn't feel left out...she had fun at the party too!





0 comments:

Post a Comment