Tuesday, July 9, 2013

July 9: Dining Room Progress

Here's what the dining room looked like when we moved in:  (the walls were a sage green color, though you can't really tell in this picture.  We liked the color okay, but it didn't look good with our red curtains, and it was going to clash with the green we are going to paint in the kitchen)
 And here's what it looks like now:
I'm not calling these "after" pictures, because I'm not done with this room yet.  These are pictures of the room in progress.  So far, we have painted the walls, hung the curtains, and hung a few things on the walls. 

The only money we have spent so far was for the paint.  Everything else we already owned.  The color is Sea Hawk by Pratt and Lambert.  It is the same color that was already on the walls in our living room.  Since I am using the same curtains in both rooms, I liked the idea of using the same wall color for some continuity.  It's a nice looking, neutral tan.  I'm very happy with it.

Next up:  a new dining room table.  We bought this table when we first moved here about 9 years ago.  We were living in a condo, and we needed a kitchen table.  This table looked fine with the light oak cabinets in that kitchen.  However, we only lived in that condo for four months.  Once we moved into a house, the table did not look so good in our dining room next to the other furniture.

And in this house, it is really bad.  These pictures are only confirming what we already feel:  the table needs a new home!   The yellow tinted light wood does not look good with these floors.  The floors are a laminate wood, with a bit of a redish tint to them.  They just clash horribly with the table.
So imagine this space with a new table with a darker wood finish...and it will look much better!  The problem is that new dining sets cost a lot of money.  I've contemplated trying to refinish this table set, but my internet research shows that might be harder than I think.  I've found two possible tables on Craigslist, but neither worked out.  I've also thought about buying a cheap dining set, just until we can afford something nicer, but I don't think that is the wisest use of money.  So for now, we are waiting until we have enough money for a new dining set or until we find a nice looking used one.  It might be a while.  =)

Here are a few more views of the dining room in progress:
Here's my to do list for what else I would like to do in this room:
I really do love decorating and working on house projects.  I just wish I had more time and money to get things finished.  However, I think that is part of the fun.  Always having a list of projects to do, and then trying to do all of them on a limited budget.  There is a lot more to do around here, so stay tuned and I will share our house decorating/renovating adventures with you!

Oh, and I also have my eye on this chandelier to go over the table.  Daniel thinks it might be too big, but I think it might work. 





0 comments:

Post a Comment