Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tangled Party...the food

Our party was at 6:00, so we needed to serve dinner to everyone.  I decided to serve soup; hazelnut soup to be exact, inspired by Mother Gothel who claimed it was Rapunzel's favorite in the movie.  I assumed that most kids (and many adults) would not be interested in hazelnut soup, so I also made a  more crowd-pleasing baked potato soup too.

The hazelnut soup ended up being a lot of work, mostly because I don't have a food processor and our blender is pretty much junk.  But I was determined to get everything pureed and smooth.  It took forever, and I thought I might break our blender, but I finally was able to get a nice, creamy soup.   I used this recipe from Disney Family.   It is basically a squash soup with hazelnuts on top.  I am not a fan of squash, but I thought it tasted okay.  Several people told me it was good.  And several people were afraid to try it!

We had a soup toppings bar, and then we also had "Build Your Own Tower Kabobs."  I can't remember where  I saw this idea, but I saw it several other Tangled parties.  For our kabobs, we kept it simple and had ham, cheese and grapes.  I served the food in frying pans, which was Rapunzel's weapon of choice in the movie.

 I also made breadstick braids, which were quite tasty.  I used frozen roll dough.  I let the dough thaw, then divided each roll into three pieces.  I rolled the pieces into ropes and braided them together.  It wasn't hard, but it did take some time. When I took them out of the oven, I brushed on some melted butter and sprinkled garlic and parmesan on top.

Besides the cake, I also made cupcakes for dessert.  I used the same buttercream frosting as the cake (the recipe made a ton!).  "Best. Day. Ever!" is a quote from the movie, one that Audrey often repeats.
 I also made a doughnut tower.  Again, this is not my original idea.  I saw several versions of this in different Tangled parties.  For our tower, Daniel drilled a 5/8" hole in a piece of wood, and then we inserted a 5/8" dowel rod into the hole.  Then I just stacked a dozen glazed doughnuts on the dowel rod.  It was very secure.  I topped it with a cupcake, and then a sugar cone covered in purple candy coating.  I used a leaf tip to make the vine in icing down the tower.  The kids enjoyed being able to take a doughnut off the tower and eat it!




0 comments:

Post a Comment