Friday, June 20, 2014

Papaw's Funeral

Daniel's dad passed away last week after a 7 year battle with leukemia.  Daniel was able to drive over and be there with his mom and siblings when his dad died.  Then the girls and I joined him a few days later for the visitation and funeral.  It hasn't been an easy time for the family, and there have been some sad/hard moments.  But at the same time, I think everyone is at peace with this being his time, and his funeral was a lovely time of remembering him as a great man, dad, and Papaw.

The girls wore new flowered dresses for the funeral.  I was a little uncertain about what was appropriate for them to wear to a funeral.  It seemed strange to dress little girls in black/dark clothes especially in the summer.  So I ended up having them wear these pretty floral print dresses.

After I picked out the dresses, Daniel told me they were perfect because Papaw loved flowers!   And when I showed Daniel's sister the dresses, she commented that Papaw would have loved them because he loved when little girls wore dresses that looked like they were made for little girls (and not little girls trying to look like grown ups).

In the end, I don't think it really matters what the girls wore to the funeral.  But it makes me happy to think that they wore dresses that would have made Papaw smile!

Several of our Springfield friends drove over for the visitation, which meant so much to us!!  The girls and I left the visitation a little early (as the girls were getting REALLY restless) to join them all for dinner.

Here's a picture of the whole family after the funeral.


While the family was busy making funeral arrangements and grieving, I tried to keep the girls occupied and out of everyone's way.  One day we were able to go spend some time with my friend Kellie and her kids.  We met for lunch at Chick Fil A and then went to a splash pad at a local park.  The kids had a lot of fun at the splash pad!












0 comments:

Post a Comment