Tuesday, October 8, 2013

October 7: A Day in Our Life

(I had this post all typed up and ready to go last night, but then our internet wasn't working so I couldn't upload the pictures.  So you get it today instead!)


I came across the above quote this week, and it seems so obvious...but it is so true!  It made me want to be a little more conscious of how I spend my days.  I've always wanted to do some "A Day in our Life" posts here.  Not that I think our life is that interesting for you to read about, but I just like the idea of having documentation about our normal, everyday days.  I'm a dork, and I think it will be fun to do these posts every so often, and then compare them all and see how our days change through the years.  

So without further introduction, I present to you:  our day!

 7:50 am  I got out of bed.  Daniel had already been up with the girls for about an hour.  I tend to stay up later than Daniel, so I don't feel too guilty about allowing him the pleasure of getting up with the girls in the morning!  =)  7:50 is cutting it close, as we need to get out of the house by 8:30 or so to get Audrey to school on time.  Days like today make me grateful for dry shampoo, a product whose greatness I have just recently discovered!

8:20 am  After getting their clothes on, the girls squeezed in a song on our Wii Dora Dance game.  They have been obsessed with this game lately, and it is cute.  This is probably worthy of a blog post in itself (coming soon!).

8:33 am  Hair combed, shoes and jackets on, and out the door!  Lately the girls think it is fun to hold the doors open for us when it is time to leave.

9:05 am  After dropping Audrey off at school, Isla and I swung through Panera's drive thru.  Getting up late means I didn't have time for breakfast.  And Panera is just so conveniently located on our way back from school.

 9:45 am  I've been trying to be more purposeful about spending quality time with Isla while Audrey is at school.  Being a second child, she just doesn't get as much one on one attention.  I also am trying to help her with her speech development and learning her ABCs.  Isla loves pushing buttons on my computer, so we used that today to learn about the letters and spell names.

10:20 am  While I did some laundry and put clothes away, Isla played with her Little People on our bed.  For some reason, playing with Little People is just more fun when it happens on Mommy and Daddy's bed.

11:00 am Time to go pick up Audrey at school!

 11:35 am  Back from school, I started some chicken in the crockpot for tonight's dinner.  I teach piano lessons until 6:30 on Monday nights, so I have to do some early meal prep and planning on Mondays if I want the girls to be able to eat dinner before bed.

12:35 pm  Daniel came home to eat lunch with us!

 1:15 pm  After Daniel went back to work, I tackled the dishes and swept the kitchen and dining room floors.  Doing dishes is my most favorite job ever in the whole entire world(written with the utmost of sarcasm).  Because of my disdain for doing dishes, I tend to let them pile up.  Fortunately, I have a husband who is willing to do the dishes, so he keeps things from getting too out of control.  But since I teach piano lessons every day and since our piano overlooks the kitchen, I have been trying harder myself to keep our kitchen dish free every day, so my students don't have to see and smell our dirty dishes. 

1:40 pm  While I was cleaning, the girls were coloring pictures.  And they were very proud to show me their finished masterpieces!

2:00 pm  Rest time!  I put Isla down for a nap and got Audrey settled on the couch to "rest" while she watched a movie.  I started editing pictures from a recent photo shoot.  Audrey ended up falling asleep after about an hour (hooray!!), so I had about a whole hour of peace and quiet!  I ended up getting almost the entire session edited in one sitting.  That never happens!
4:00 pm  Piano lesson time!  Daniel gets home between 4:30-4:45, so the girls are kind of on their own for 30-45 minutes while I teach.  Isla has been sleeping (or at least playing and being content in her crib) until Daniel gets home.  Audrey is usually pretty good about staying quiet during lessons, and today, she slept all the way through my first lesson as well!  

4:45 pm  I was teaching my second lesson.  Daniel got home and took the girls out to run errands.  He also got the mail and found our CD of family photos!
5:00 pm  I had a 30 minute break from teaching.  My plan was to make biscuits for dinner during this break, but the photo CD was calling my name.  I have been waiting for it to get here for two weeks, so I had to take a quick peek.  The pictures look great; they will be worthy of their own blog post in the near future.  And while I was looking at the pictures, my 6:00 piano student cancelled...which meant I could make the biscuits later!

5:30 pm Time for another piano lesson

6:00 pm  I made the biscuits that I was planning to make earlier.  

6:30 pm  Dinner was about ready when I got a text from Daniel.  He had taken the girls for a walk to go shopping for my birthday present.  They shopped too long and walked too far and wanted me to come pick them up.  So I drove over to a nearby shopping strip to rescue them!

6:55 pm  After we got back home, it was time to eat!  Again!  Sometimes I feel like that is all we ever do.  Fix food, eat food, clean up food.  Repeat.

7:20 pm  Daniel graciously let me leave for the evening so I could get some work done without distractions.  I do some work for my dad's business, and I am so much more productive when I am away from home.  I headed to Starbucks, where I settled into a comfy chair with a caramel apple cider, my headphones and my computer. 

9:10 pm  I didn't get all my work done but I got enough done to call it quits for the night and head back home.  My eyes were glazing over, and my stomach was feeling yucky thanks to the caramel apple cider.  I got one about once a year, and then I drink about half of it.  It tastes good at first, but it is so sweet that it usually gives me a stomachache.  And then I wonder why I just wasted $3.50!

9:45 pm  Now I am sitting on the couch, typing this blog post and waiting for our internet to start working so I can post the pictures!  Then I will go to bed and read for a while, with the goal of falling asleep by 11:00 (or 12:00 if the book gets really good!).

I'd say this was a fairly typical day for us, though I was probably a little more productive than normal.  Mondays are always my least favorite day, although reading through all of this, there is nothing especially bad in our day today.  It's just a matter of getting back into the groove of the week.  And finding enough energy to get everything done.  Maybe it is just because I typed all of this out, but I am EXHAUSTED tonight!




0 comments:

Post a Comment