Sunday, October 12, 2014

Disney Trip 2014: Chef Mickey's

Chef Mickey's is a super popular character meal at the Contemporary Resort featuring the Fab Five:  Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Pluto.  Getting a reservation there is not easy.  I would recommend that you book it six months in advance.  I didn't have the luxury of booking at the six month mark though.  I had to search for a really long time, but I got lucky a couple of weeks before our trip and was able to get a dinner reservation for us here.

Although Chef Mickey's is such a popular restaurant, it also receives a lot of bad reviews in the Disney forums, especially at dinner.  People complain that the food is bad, the restaurant is dirty, the service is slow.  There are all kinds of bad reviews on this place.  Yet it remains to be one of the harder reservations to get at Disney World, so obviously plenty of people still like it.  Who knows?  I was curious to try the place out for myself and see how we liked it.

The food was okay.  It was about the same as all the other character meal buffets we visited.  I really can't remember what we ate.  There was nothing super special about the food, but it was not awful either, and we all found plenty to eat.  I didn't notice the restaurant being dirty at all.  Except for the windows by our table.  They were very dirty on the outside, but I probably wouldn't have even noticed if I wasn't looking for things that were dirty due to all the reviews I read.  Other than that, the restaurant looked perfectly clean.

Our service was kind of slow.  At least towards the end of the meal when it was getting late, and we just wanted to leave.  It seemed like we waited forever for our check!

Overall, we had a great experience here.  The girls just loved seeing all the characters.  I think our bill for this dinner was around $135 for all four of us.  I don't know if it was a meal that was worth that much money, and I don't know if I would ever pay that much for this meal out of my own pocket.  But since we were not paying for it on this trip, I will say it was just great!!   Now for the pictures!

Daniel and I were exhausted after our busy day at the Magic Kingdom, but these girls just never slowed down!  They had a lot of fun playing with each other while we waited for our table.

Then it was time to eat!  And start meeting characters!!








We finished up and got out of the restaurant around 8:00 pm, very tired and ready for bed.  To get back to our resort, we needed to take the monorail from the Contemporary to Magic Kingdom.  Then we needed to get on a bus at Magic Kingdom to take us back to our resort.  Most of the time, the Disney transportation system is pretty impressive.   I can't even begin to imagine the amount of coordination it takes to transport hundreds of thousands of people daily all over their property, by bus, boat and monorail.  And they do it all in a timely manner.

So the transportation at Disney is great...until it stops working.  The monorail got stuck at the Contemporary for some technical reason, which means we had to stand and watch and wait while they tried to fix it.  I guess we could have just walked back to Magic Kingdom, but we were quickly trapped in a massive crowd of people, as everyone was waiting to get on just like us.  Our total wait time was probably about 20 minutes max, but we were so tired that it felt like forever!  We finally got on the monorail, transferred to our bus, and were back at the resort by 9:00.  And we went straight to bed, with plans to get up super early for Extra Morning Magic Hours at Hollywood Studios the next day.




0 comments:

Post a Comment